Goals and Objectives
The following project goals and objectives were identified at the Project Kick-off Meeting:
- Limit storage of sludge in the primary clarifiers.
- Achieve more efficient removal of screenings and grit.
- Use technologies and systems that will remain sustainable over time.
- Upgrade obsolete electrical systems.
- Develop initial Building Information Model (BIM) and BIM Standards.
- Utilize available state and federal funding sources for the project, such as the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (WIFIA).
- Make future operator training modules available online.
- BIM model should be available to geographical information systems (GIS), specifically as it relates to yard piping.
Commitment to Sustainability
The City of Kansas City, Missouri has a long-standing commitment to sustainability. From the highest city and departmental levels down to individual projects, efforts have been made to encourage and support an overall sustainable approach to capital improvements.
KC Water is committed to true sustainability by evaluating the social and economic impacts of a project along with the environmental impacts when making decisions. Shortly after the release of Envision, the City passed Resolution 140859 in 2014, supporting the incorporation of Envision sustainability principles on all City projects. Pursuing verification recognizes the extensive efforts the City and project teams have put forth to incorporate sustainability.
The Blue River Biosolids Facility project is pursuing Envision Silver verification. Through the verification process, the project will consider enhanced use of a waste product for beneficial use, reduced energy, natural gas, and water demands, odor reduction, recycling of materials that are demolished, noise mitigation during construction, and safety.